We explore how the news influences us and our culture. The way we receive our news has changed dramatically in the last few decades. Listen in as we talk about:
What is the News?
News is shared on local and national TV stations, newspapers, and the internet.
The News Media affects our culture in the following ways:
- Journalism has changed significantly in the past few years and has grown more biased.
- Entertainment is often passed off as news.
- News is presented to appeal to a wide audience.
- News organizations are supported by advertisers.
- News is giving people what market research says people want rather than news people need to know.
Call to Action
- Turn off the news. Don’t read the news online or in newspaper. Notice how you feel.
- Seek out more objective news sources.
- Seek to be educated as well as informed about issues.
- Don’t let your young kids watch the news. Discuss issues with older children.
- Check out the following resource: Positive Reporting: News and its Effect on Wellbeing
Help us spread the word about our movement at Move Minds!
You can help in one or more of the following ways.
- Please subscribe to our Move Minds Podcast on iTunes.
- And while you are there would you please rate it?
- Share this or any of our other podcasts on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, or Google + You can use the share buttons above the podcast player.
Thank you so much. We at Move Minds appreciate you!