Why is empathy and compassion so important when building a social purpose culture? In this episode of the Move Minds Podcast learn how vital empathy and compassion are when creating social and cultural change.
What is Empathy and Compassion?
- Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
- Compassion is the genuine concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
Facts We Discussed
- Helping others brings the same pleasure we get from the gratification of personal desires.
- It’s important to deeply understand other people’s issues.
- We can teach compassion and empathy by leading by example.
- Empathy fuels connection with others.
- Vulnerability is a strength not a weakness.
The videos mentioned in the podcast:
The Six Habits of Highly Empathetic People
Here are the cliff notes from the video.
- Cultivate curiosity about strangers
- Challenge prejudices and find what binds us.
- Try to place yourself in someone elses life.
- Practice the art of conversation.
- Inspire mass action and influence.
- Expand your scope of empathy.
Roman Krznaric’s book: Empathy: Why it Matters, And How to Get It
The Power of Empathy